I saw Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince yesterday.
I was never so disappointed by a movie before. My roomie who have not read the HP books liked the movie a bit, he says its not that bad as he did not know the actual story in the book. He was okay with most of things but in after coming out of theater he was little confused. When I asked he said, “I don’t understand WTH the movie was called Half Blood Prince??”
David Yates Fail!!!
The important things in book were
1. Harry-Dumbledore relationship
2. Harry-Snape hatred
3. Harry-Draco enmity
4. Harry is Quidditch captain (David Yates has forgotten that Harry can ride a broom too)
5. Ron-Hermione relationship ( In this movie Hermione behaves like she is ready to for Ron to jump on her and start…. WTF)
6. Harry-Ginny relationship (which should have come very late in the story)
7. Importance of Horcruxes. My friend didn’t even notice that Horcrux was anything important. He thought it is just another thing he missed because of not reading the books.
8. The bloody half blood prince. Harry gets kind of possessed by the book (or say highly addicted). He gets himself in lot of trouble by using the book.
9. J K Rowling has portrayed Harry’s development from a teenager to mature person very nicely. The director though getting a beard and having a girlfriend makes him mature.
10. Climax!!! Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Lupin, Bill, Tonks and others fight death eaters in the school.
In the movie, there is no climax, no Hagrid has two lines at max. Snape has been ignored completely. You can count the number of times magic was done on your fingers. There so less magic in the movie. Story is ripped and patched again and what not.
Finally I sincerely doubt that the director has even read the book HBP himself. Worst “movie based on a book” I have seen ever. No stars, no ratings, only BOOOOOO to David Yates.
P.S. The opening scene was spectacular. And I missed Voldemort!!